FinTech & Blockchain
Financial Services Litigation & Regulation
Strategic Discovery & Information Management
- Advising a client on matters relating to digital currency-denominated securities trading.
- Advising a client on the use of distributed ledger (blockchain) technology in the trading, clearance, and settlement of security-based swaps.
- Advising a client on retail client disclosures for crypto-related investments.
- Advising a client on the regulatory aspects of an Initial Coin Offering.
- Representing a director in an SEC investigation of an Initial Coin Offering.
- Representing a cryptocurrency fund under scrutiny from the SEC.
- Providing regulatory and compliance counsel to a tech start-up that is disrupting the private capital formation marketplace.
- Advising a client on the regulatory scrutiny of SAFTs.
Technology will continue to fundamentally transform both the financial services and legal industries. Initial Coin Offerings, cryptocurrencies, and digital token exchanges are under heavy scrutiny from regulators, who are launching investigations, intervening in trading and offerings, and appear to be planning to bring a significant number of enforcement actions. In addition to the expansion of blockchain, other technologies are driving changes to how financial services are provided and consumed. Artificial intelligence, for example, is playing a greater role in the delivery of financial services. AI is the engine of so-called “robo-advisors” that provide investment advice to customers without human intervention. Machine learning (including deep learning) is also increasingly being used for automated trading, including high-frequency trading, which engages in complex transactions, again without human intervention.