Murphy & McGonigle Continues Momentum with Accomplished Hires in FinTech and Regulatory Practices
Murphy & McGonigle, P.C. announced today that two accomplished lawyers with specialties of burgeoning importance in the financial services sector – a leader in the FinTech, blockchain and virtual currency exchanges and the former Chief Regulatory Officer of a NYSE futures exchange - have joined as shareholders in the financial services and regulatory law firm that was founded in 2010.
The joining lawyers are:
- Daniel S. Alter. Mr. Alter is an established leader in FinTech law. Previously, he served as General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer for the first New York State chartered, non-depository trust company providing fiduciary services to global financial institutions using virtual currency exchange and blockchain-based financial services. Before that, he served as chief legal officer at the New York State Department of Financial Services and was responsible for department-wide oversight of regulatory and licensing matters and criminal and civil enforcement operations. Mr. Alter’s focus there included virtual currency regulation, anti-money laundering and international sanctions enforcement, and global investigation into FX rate manipulation. Mr. Alter will be based in the New York office.
- Katherine Cooper. Ms. Cooper served for six years at ICE-NYSE LIFFE US as Chief Regulatory Officer, providing counsel to C-suite management and the Board of Directors on compliance with legal and regulatory requirements necessary to operate the exchange. This included advice on the impact of new Dodd-Frank rule makings, as well as implementing changes to the exchange’s operations to ensure compliance with new regulations. Previously, Ms. Cooper served as Global Head of Prime Services Compliance at Barclay’s Capital and as Head of Fixed Income Compliance at Citigroup Global Markets. Ms. Cooper will be based in the firm’s New York office.
“The deep experience that Daniel and Katherine bring in key areas of need for our clients further strengthens the firm’s ability to address client challenges in a fast-changing financial services marketplace,” said James Murphy, Chairman of Murphy & McGonigle. “FinTech and regulatory changes and developments are of pivotal importance to our clients, and Daniel and Katherine bring strong insights to their respective areas.”
“I am very excited to join Murphy & McGonigle and bring my experience from both the government and commercial side of FinTech,” said Mr. Alter. “As the financial markets are increasingly being disrupted by FinTech and cryptocurrencies, the firm’s focus on the needs of clients in the evolving financial services marketplace makes it an ideal platform for me.”
“I am delighted to join such an innovative firm with deep talent in the financial services sector,” said Ms. Cooper. “Clients are looking to achieve their business goals in complex, changing legal and regulatory environments, and the expanse of the Murphy & McGonigle practice areas can help clients effectively navigate through the challenges that come with such significant change. I am thrilled to be part of this talented team.”
Murphy & McGonigle, with offices in New York, Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA, focuses on financial services and regulatory law on behalf of its clients. It has been named a National Tier One law firm in Securities Regulation, Securities Litigation and Corporate Law for six straight years by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers.
- Two Murphy & McGonigle Lawyers Recognized as “Rising Stars” by Super Lawyers New York
- 19 Practices Honored and Six Earn National Rankings in Best Law Firms 2020 Survey
- “Post Lava Jato World” Event at Murphy & McGonigle to Feature Leading Authorities Involved in the Enforcement Effort
- Murphy & McGonigle Diverse Lawyers Participate in Annual MCCA Conference
- “Commodity” is a Defined Term!