- Commodities, Futures & Derivatives
- Cybersecurity, Cybercrime, & Incident Response
- Health Care Fraud Defense and Compliance Counseling
- Independent Monitoring & Independent Consulting
- International Advisory
- Regulatory Enforcement Defense
- White Collar Defense, Investigations & Compliance Counseling
- J.D., Antioch School of Law, 1982
- B.A., Political Science, Davidson College, 1979
- District of Columbia
Rob is a Partner in the firm's Washington, D.C. office. Rob joined the firm following twenty years of service in the Fraud Section of the Criminal Division of the Department of Justice. Rob’s practice emphasizes white-collar criminal matters, enforcement investigations, internal corporate investigations, and compliance counseling. He has specific expertise in foreign bribery (FCPA and UKBA), financial services fraud, securities fraud, and commodities fraud. Rob is the founding member of the firm's White Collar Defense, Investigations, and Compliance Counseling Group.
During his tenure in the Criminal Division’s Fraud Section, Rob directed and coordinated some of the Department’s most important investigations and initiatives. Between 1996 and 1999, Rob was a lead prosecutor of the Montana Freemen, resulting in his receipt of the Attorney General’s Award for Exceptional Service. Rob also was a principal of the trial team in the matter of United States v. Frederic Bourke, Jr., a seminal prosecution of an individual investor under the FCPA. Rob was the Criminal Division liaison to the CFTC and had associated coordination responsibilities with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). One of the signature results of his work with the CFTC was the Fraud Section’s lead role in the LIBOR investigation, in partnership with the Department’s Antitrust Division, the CFTC and other international enforcement authorities.
- Represent a financial services firm in an ongoing FINRA investigation
- Represent a senior energy trader in an ongoing FERC investigation.
- Represent Country and Regional Manager for engineering firm in ongoing FCPA investigation.
- Represent Country Director of Financial Services firm in ongoing FCPA investigation.
- Represent financial services firm in ongoing Department of Justice inquiry into securitization of RMBS.
- Represent senior broker with financial services firm in ongoing CFTC investigation.
- Represent senior international sales executive in ongoing FCPA Investigation.
- Advising broker dealer affiliate of financial services firm on revisions to their AML and BSA procedures.
- Advising global advisory and corporate relations firm on anti-bribery policies and procedures.
- Provide compliance policy guidance to financial service firms.
- Advise exchange on AML and KYC best practices.
Government Investigations and Litigation
Trading and Markets Counseling