- FinTech & Blockchain
- Securities & Complex Commercial Litigation
- Regulatory Enforcement Defense
- Broker-Dealer Advisory & Counseling
- J.D., Vanderbilt University School of Law, 1988
- B.A., Economics, University of Virginia, 1985
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Mr. Murphy is co-founder and past chairman of Murphy & McGonigle, P.C. Over the last 30 years, Mr. Murphy has defended public companies and financial institutions as lead trial counsel in high-stakes litigation in trial and appellate courts throughout the U.S.
Mr. Murphy advises innovative companies on the regulatory aspects of various business models leveraging blockchain technology. He is a thought leader and frequent speaker on blockchain, digital assets, Decentralized Finance and related topics.
Mr. Murphy also advises clients across the spectrum of the financial services industry with respect to compliance with the constantly evolving banking and securities laws, rules and regulations. He also represents companies involved in investigations initiated by state and federal regulatory authorities, including banking regulators, and the SEC, CFTC, DOJ, FINRA and state Attorneys General.
Mr. Murphy has served as lead trial counsel to a number of large banks in a variety of litigation and government investigations concerning Residential Mortgage-Backed Securities issues. And he has served as lead counsel for National Securities Exchanges in several High Frequency Trading class actions.
Mr. Murphy has been named a Securities Regulation "Lawyer of the Year" in 2014, 2016, 2020 and 2022 by Best Lawyers in America®. Mr. Murphy has been awarded Martindale Hubbell's highest rating, AV Preeminent (5.0/5.0).