- Commodities, Futures & Derivatives
- FinTech & Blockchain
- Regulatory Enforcement Defense
- Securities & Complex Commercial Litigation
- Trading & Markets Counseling
- White Collar Defense, Investigations & Compliance Counseling
- J.D., Tulane University School of Law, 1999
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1996
- District of Columbia
Elizabeth Lan Davis is a member of the firm’s Regulatory Enforcement Defense and Securities & Complex Commercial Litigation practices. Ms. Davis brings deep litigation and regulatory experience, along with unique perspectives and insight, from her prior tenure at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the U.S. Department of Justice.
As a former Chief Trial Attorney for the CFTC’s Division of Enforcement, Ms. Davis was responsible for investigating and litigating potential violations of the Commodity Exchange Act and the Commission’s Regulations. In this role, Ms. Davis had primary responsibility over all aspects of federal court litigation.
While at the CFTC, Ms. Davis litigated a complex manipulation case involving trading activity impacting the crude oil market, as well as federal district court litigations involving pre-Dodd Frank spoofing activity, a multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme, among other cases. She also led numerous civil regulatory enforcement investigations covering a wide range of matters from manipulation, disruptive trading practices, fraud, virtual currencies, ICOs, credit default swap indices, regulatory compliance, undercapitalization, and swaps reporting. In connection with her matters, Ms. Davis worked with the Securities and Exchange Commission, U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, National Futures Association, FINRA, state regulatory agencies, and foreign regulators.
Prior to her nine-year tenure at CFTC, Ms. Davis served at the U.S. Department of Justice for nine years in the Tax Division. At the Department of Justice, she was Counsel to the Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Civil Matters and a trial attorney in the Civil Trial Section. Her responsibilities included advising the Deputy Assistant Attorney General and acting as a liaison between the Division, Internal Revenue Service, and United States Attorney’s Offices across the country. In her role as a trial attorney, Ms. Davis litigated numerous cases commenced on behalf of and against the United States in federal district and bankruptcy courts. Ms. Davis earned the U.S. Department of Justice Tax Division Outstanding Attorney award in 2004, 2006, and 2007, in recognition of her superior performance.
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Member, Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Washington DC
- Member, Women in Listed Derivatives
- Member, Women in Derivatives
- Member, Women's White Collar Defense Association
- Member, Women’s Energy Network
- Associate Member, Asian American Bar Association of New York
- Diversity Co-Chair, Women’s Bar Association of Washington, DC