- FinTech & Blockchain
- Regulatory Enforcement Defense
- Securities & Complex Commercial Litigation
- White Collar Defense, Investigations & Compliance Counseling
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Richmond School of Law, 2009
- B.A., Philosophy and Economics, magna cum laude, College of William & Mary, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
Mr. Payne helps financial services firms and crypto companies solve high stakes legal problems. Financial services firms and crypto companies can face extreme regulatory pressure and litigation risk. Managing those risks creates the legal certainty that shareholders, investors, partners and customers crave, enabling companies to unlock their full potential.
Through years of experience defending civil litigation and regulatory investigations, Mr. Payne understands what company leadership needs from outside counsel to protect their companies. Mr. Payne is a shareholder of the 2021 Securities Regulation Law Firm of the Year and handles all aspects of complex commercial litigation and enforcement actions, from pre-suit investigations and counseling to motions practice and discovery.
As a leader of the firm’s FinTech & Blockchain Practice Group, Mr. Payne also provides critical advice to companies of all stripes concerning the emergent regulatory structure surrounding cryptocurrencies and new applications built on blockchain technology. With sophisticated legal counsel, crypto companies can exploit the opportunities presented by the current environment marked by regulatory uncertainty and widespread enforcement and litigation activity.